Training: WSI Annual Institute
July 15-18, 2013 at The MSU Riley Center for Education and the Arts – Meridian, Mississippi
Thanks to our conference partners:
The Whole Schools Initiative 15th Annual Institute will be held July 15-18 at the Mississippi State University Riley Center for Education and Performing Arts in Meridian. This annual professional development opportunity is open to any teacher (pre-k through 8th grad & pre-service), artist, school administrator, parent and community arts supporter to learn how to integrate the arts into the core curriculum. These workshops and arts experiences allow attendees to engage with presenters from across Mississippi and throughout the nation.
The content and experiences in these interactive professional development workshops will be used in Mississippi classrooms to deepen critical thinking skills, support innovative and creative ideas, and nurture communication skills in preparation for a successful college and career experience.
Whole Schools Initiative 15th Annual Summer Institute Schedule
Featured speaking engagement with the attendees and a ticket to the Tuesday night performance fo:
THE HEART BEHIND THE MUSIC
Featuring Kim Carnes, John Ford Coley, Gene Cotton, Lenny LeBlanc, with special guest Greg Barnhill
For more information about this exciting performance, go to MSU Riley Center’s website
Kennedy Center Teaching Artists:
- Marcia Daft
- Lenore Blank Kelner
- Melanie Layne
- Sean Layne
- Bobby & Sherry Norfolk – Storytellers
- Julie White – Movement
- Pam Daresta-Beage – Visual Art Sean Glazebrook – Theatre
- Tammy Stanford-Williams – Dance
For more information about the presenters, download the 2013 Summer Institute Presenters.
- Discipline 101 Workshops in Music, Theatre, Visual Art and Dance
- Strategy Experiences in Creative Movement, Storytelling, Movement/Music, Reading Portraits, Tableau
- Arts Integrated Early Childhood Education
- Self-Contained Special Education Track
- Arts Integrated Model Lessons by National Board Certified Teachers, Professors & Teaching Artists
For more information or a description of the workshops, download the workshop descriptions.
CEU / SEMI Credits / Child Care Staff Development / College Credit
- 2.5 CEU Credits / Cost: $27.50 – Payable on Thursday at the event. Checks only – make checks payable to Delta State University. Attendees requesting CEU credit for the full institute should plan to attend ALL daytime events during the week beginning Monday morning at 8:30 and ending at 2:00 on Thursday.
- 15 SEMI Credits / No cost. Plan to attend all daytime events Monday-Wednesday. Anticipated # SEMI Credits: 15. NOTE FROM MDE CONCERNING SEMI CREDITS: Please remember that 100% attendance is required for SEMI credit. Attendees who miss any portion of the training will not receive credit. All Attendees expecting to receive SEMI credit must hold a Standard Career-Level Administrator License.
- 1 OSL Credit / No cost. Required attendance includes the General Session on Monday (8:30-11:45) and all daytime events on Tuesday & Wednesday. Anticipated # of OSL Credits: 1. NOTE FROM MDE CONCERNING OSL CREDITS: Attendees expecting to receive OSL credit must have an Entry Level Administrator License.
- 25 Hours – Child Care Staff Development
Plan to attend ALL daytime events during the week beginning Monday morning at 8:30 and ending at 2:00 on Thursday.
Registration for Credits:
- Pick up the appropriate credit packet at the institute registration desk Monday morning.
- Complete the Credit Record during the week.
- Turn in the required paperwork and payment (if applicable) at the Institute registration desk at the Riley Center when you leave.
Mississippi State University at the Meridian Campus is offering WSI Summer Institute attendees an opportunity to earn 3 hours of college credit for their participation during the week of July 16. Dr. Sallie Harper will be the professor of record. Registration closes April 12. Students must pay for tuition and registration fees for the course. If you are currently an MSU student, please contact your advisor to register. If you are not an MSU student, contact Cindy Castle, Admissions/Registration Assistant at 601-484-0132 or email at email@example.com.
- EDE 4990 – Whole Schools Institute (For Undergraduates)
- EDE 6990 – Research in Art Integration (For Graduate Students)
- Registration for the Whole Schools Initiative Summer Institute is on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration may end early if the institute sells out.
- Late registration may not be available if the institute sells out. On-site registration is not guaranteed.
- Online registration closes on Friday, June 14.
|Participating School (Fiscal Year 2014 – WSI, AIC, or Model School)||$0-Attendee Funded by MAC
$250-per paying attendee
|Meridian/Lauderdale County Schools (Limit 2 per school)||$200 per person|
|Other Teams or Individual Teachers
(Includes WSI Alumni Schools or other In-State or Out-of-State attendees
|$300 per person|
Before you register, please download this year’s registration information
- Schools will be responsible for making their own reservations.
- Summer Institute Hotel: Drury Inn & Suites Meridian / www.druryhotels.com
112 Hwy 11 & 80 North (Frontage Road), Meridian, MS 39301 / Telephone: 601-483-5570
Room rate: $70.00 per room, per night: (2 queen beds or king bed / 1-4 per room)
- Al rates are subject to the prevailing city and state taxes.
- The hotel cannot guarantee specific requests. The hotel will honor such requests to the best of its ability on the day of arrival. Rollaway beds are limited and there is an additional charge of $10 per day rental fee.
Tax Exempt Groups: Please notify Molly Owens, National Sales Coordinator, upon booking of tax-exempt status. (800-436-1122 / firstname.lastname@example.org) Proper documentation establishing tax-exempt status must be provided to hotel staff upon check-in at hotel. Hotel has final decision on establishing tax-exempt status.
Payment: Schools will be responsible for paying lodging expenses.
Reservation cut-off date: Reservations received after Monday, July 1, 2013, will be provided on a space-available basis at prevailing rates.
Room block name: Mississippi Arts Commission – Whole Schools Initiative
To Make Reservations:
- Drury Website: Go to www.druryhotels.com, then enter group number 2175058.
- Toll Free: Call 1-800-325-0720 to make your individual group reservations. Please specify the hotel location (Meridian, MS) and reference your group number: 2175058
Check-in: After 3:00 pm / Check-out: Before 11:00 am
- Free hot breakfast
- Free 5:30-7:30 Kickback (Rotating menu of free hot food and cold beverages)
- Free long distance (One hour per night)
- Free Wireless Internet Access (High speed Internet in all rooms and in the lobby)
- Free soda and popcorn (3:00 pm – 10:00 pm every night)
- Breakfast is on your own at the hotel.
- The Riley Center will have snacks and drinks for sale each day.
- Lunch on Monday – Thursday is provided at the Riley Center as part of your registration fee.
- Evening meals are on your own.